Saturday, August 27, 2011

Stitches!

My vacation is off to an awesome start.  Last night I babysat my two favourite gentlemen, and now I'm about to get my yarn on.  Yes, it's Stitches time!  For all you non-yarn folk, Stitches is basically a giant yarn convention.  There are knitting classes (yeah, not really much for crocheters at all in terms of classes), as well as a huge marketplace.  The marketplace is the main draw for me, and where I will be spending my afternoon today.

I have made myself a game plan.  First, the purse is staying home.  Don't worry, the wallet is coming!  Or rather, the cash/card are coming.  I'm putting that, the cell, keys, notebook, and pen in a small make-up-type bag, and putting that bag in a bigger one.  I will not be bringing my current project with me (that damn shawl), but I may bring a small project along with me (or at least a pattern for a small project).

Second part of the game plan:  I'm going to take a look at my Year of Projects patterns and see what I still need yarn for.  I know I need a sweater's worth for several patterns, and I'm thinking Berocco Vintage will be an awesome pick.  Vintage is machine washable, but soft and comes in lots of great colours.  I also need about 3K yards of lace for a shawl, so I'll be on the lookout for that, too.  And I'm leaving myself open for at least one impulse skein that I buy because I love it and not because I have a project in mind.

Third part of the plan: it's corny, but friends.  Last year I went to Stitches by myself, and even though I had a good time, I am so looking forward to browsing the marketplace with friends.  We're carpooling up there--I almost had to drive by myself due to a babysitting job, but the job was cancelled due to dad illness.  I was momentarily sad to lose the income, but I would much rather start vacation hanging with my friends.

Is anyone else headed to Stitches?  Do you game plan or just wing it?

1 comment: